We may collect a share of sales from items linked to on this page. Learn more.
Eggs are often a protein staple in vegetarian diets.
However, a typical way of creating an egg dish is to add heaping amounts of butter and milk that, while giving body and flavor to the meal, make it unsuitable for those allergic to dairy.
This lactose-free broccoli quiche retains both taste and texture while remaining free of milk-products.
A typical egg dish contains heaping amounts of butter and milk that, while giving body and flavor to the meal, make it unsuitable for those allergic to dairy. This lactose-free broccoli quiche retains both taste and texture while remaining free of milk-products.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp ice water
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Blend the flour, canola oil, salt and ice water together into a large bowl until it is crumbly. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and press it into a pie pan or individual muffin tins.
- Toss the onion and garlic cloves with the canola oil in a deep bottomed frying pan. Turn the burner to medium-high heat and caramelize the onions and garlic until lightly browned and translucent. Sprinkle with the black pepper and salt. Add the broccoli to the frying pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until softened slightly. Allow to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together until frothy. Add the broccoli mixture to the eggs, stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie pan, or muffin tin. Insert the dish into the oven. Cook the muffin tin version of the quiche for 25 to 30 minutes or cook the pie pan version for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Originally posted April, 2013.
Amount Per Serving Calories 221Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 93mgSodium 109mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 6g
Save money by converting your home to solar power. Calculate your savings.