With fresh flavors, a spicy kick, and protein in every bite, this soup is perfect for all seasons.
Reminiscent of summer in the winter, and delicious chilled with slices of avocado on hot summer days. Black beans have been a staple of Latin America for thousands of years. The creamy interior and sweet flavor of these beans are highlighted by surrounding cilantro-infused tomatoes.
Serve the soup with nachos on the side, a dollop of sour cream in the middle or grated vegan cheese sprinkled over the small mounds made by legumes and fruits.
With fresh flavors, a spicy kick, and protein in every bite, this soup is perfect for all seasons. Serve the soup with nachos on the side, a dollop of sour cream in the middle or grated vegan cheese sprinkled over the small mounds made by legumes and fruits.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, large; diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp oregano flakes
- 3 tsp basil flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped and ½ reserved
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 18 oz can black beans, drained
- Heat the olive oil, onion, garlic cloves, cumin, coriander, red pepper, oregano, basil and salt together in a large saucepan. Cook on medium-high heat until browned and caramelized, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the vegetable stock, stirring to incorporate brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the diced tomatoes, half of the cilantro, lime, and sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the black beans and cook for another 10 minutes, until the beans are soft. Add the rest of the cilantro and stir to incorporate. Serve immediately with a topping of cheese, sour cream or fresh chopped avocado.
Originally published May, 2012
Amount Per Serving Calories 225Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 908mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 11gSugar 6gProtein 9g