When it comes to fighting the winter chill, don’t just make comfort food – make warming food. Both turmeric and ginger are good for circulation, which can keep you warmer on those cold days.
The other added benefit? Turmeric makes every food it touches look like a brilliantly sunny day. So, if the gray weather gets you down, add a little turmeric to rice and chicken dishes. It’s the little things that help get us through the winter!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 chicken breasts, large, bone-in
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 bunch of scallions cut into 1½-inch pieces, divided, white and green parts
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the turmeric and stir well. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breasts skin-side down in the oil. Brown for 7 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and place the chicken in a baking pan. Bake until internal temperature registers 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- Turn the heat under the frying pan back on low. Add the ginger to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Turn the heat back off, and add the wine and add the wine and chicken broth to the pan. Make sure to gather up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reserve ¼ cup of the scallion greens for garnish and place the rest of the scallions in the pan. Turn the heat on medium, and cook until mixture has reduced by half. Whisk the cornstarch and water together and add to the broth. Stir well for 1 minute, or until thickened to a syrup-like consistency.
- Serve the braised scallions over the chicken. Garnish with reserved scallions.
Amount Per Serving Calories 336Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 102mgSodium 641mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 39g