When we hear the term “breakfast sandwich” we tend to think of greasy meat and heavy cheese. But instead, what would happen if you cooked beautiful, local chard and topped it with a light and delicate parmesan sauce loaded with fresh dill?
Answer: You’d have a pretty wonderful breakfast.
It’s filling, (reasonably) healthy and even quick to make.
And the combination of spicy chard, crisp English muffins and dill is absolutely out of this world.
Give this a shot the next time you’re searching for something a little different in the morning. You’re going to love it.
This breakfast sandwich features beautiful, local chard topped with a light and delicate parmesan sauce loaded with fresh dill.
- 10 large Swiss chard leaves, tough center stem removed if necessary
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2 English muffins, toasted
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Roughly chop the Swiss chard, and add to the frying pan. Season with salt and pepper. Quickly saute until chard resembles cooked spinach, about 2 minutes.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon oil in a very small saucepan over low heat, and add the onion. Stir frequently until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream and parmesan and whisk until cheese has melted.
- Add dill and cook until the sauce is heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Divide chard between the cooked English muffins and top with sauce. Serve immediately.