We may collect a share of sales from items linked to on this page. Learn more.
Have you ever steamed a cake? In lieu of baking this holiday season, try this scrumptious steamed pumpkin cake from pastry chef Dana Cree.
This light and fluffy cake is both easy and fun to make! The recipe is from the book Twenty-Five: Profiles and Recipes from America’s Essential Bakery and Pastry Artisans, a beautiful food arts book that highlights 25 accomplished pastry chefs and bakers from around the country.
Have you ever steamed a cake? In lieu of baking this holiday season, try this scrumptious steamed pumpkin cake.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut flakes, processed in a food processor until very fine
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground anise
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sucrose, A good substitute for sucrose is Splenda.
- Caramel sauce, for serving (homemade or store-bought)
- Ice cream, for serving, flavor of your choice
- Line two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, coconut flakes, anise, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the pumpkin purée and coconut cream in a bowl and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Place the eggs, brown sugar, and sucrose in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip on medium speed for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the pumpkin-coconut mixture. Whisk on low speed for 1 minute, until the pumpkin and coconut are evenly incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the reserved flour mixture.
- Change to the paddle attachment and mix on medium-low speed until blended evenly. Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans.
- Transfer the cakes to a steam oven and steam for 35 minutes (Note: you can also set each pan, one at a time, on a rack in a large pot with enough water to to almost reach the pan). Once steamed, remove and transfer to a wire rack and let cool before serving.
- For serving, divide the cake into 12 pieces and place each on a plate with a smear of caramel sauce. Top with a small scoop of ice cream.
Amount Per Serving Calories 359Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 67mgSodium 568mgCarbohydrates 64gFiber 3gSugar 37gProtein 7g
Save money by converting your home to solar power. Calculate your savings.