This soup, while delightful warm, is meant to be served chilled.
Perfect for a mid-afternoon snack or the beginning of a meandering several-course summer meal, the soup is high in flavor but not in fat.
If wanting to make this soup completely vegan, substitute the non-fat yogurt with blended tofu.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 potato, large, peeled and chopped
- 2 zucchini, large, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups plain non-fat yogurt
- Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil in a large soup pot, on medium-high heat, for 3 to 5 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the vegetable broth, scraping up all the brown bits.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the spinach, salt and yogurt. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, covered, on medium heat, until the soup is fragrant and the potato is soft.
- Add the spinach and simmer for another 2 minutes, until it is completely softened.
- Remove the soup from heat, allow to cool, and blend until smooth and silky. Chill the blended soup in the refrigerator. Mix in the yogurt before serving.
Originally published June, 2013
Amount Per Serving Calories 242Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 2mgSodium 934mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 4gSugar 14gProtein 11g