Pho is one of my favorite soups, but it can be a long and arduous process to create.
A simple vegetarian alternative to this Vietnamese soup takes the essentials of this beloved broth, but greatly reduces the time needed.
If desiring protein in your pho, pan-fry tofu slices and add them at the same time as the vermicelli noodles.
A simple vegetarian alternative to Vietnamese pho soup takes the essentials of this beloved broth, but greatly reduces the time needed.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp sambal olek, or red pepper paste
- 2 tbsp vegetarian fish sauce
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 package vermicelli rice noodles, cooked according to the package
- Simmer the broth, garlic, ginger, sambal, fish sauce and cane sugar in a large pot on the stove, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the onions, mushrooms and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cilantro, bok choy, bean sprouts and rice noodles. Cook for another minute. Serve hot.
Originally posted May 2, 2013
Amount Per Serving Calories 439Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 2920mgCarbohydrates 91gFiber 9gSugar 35gProtein 16g