For many years, I struggled to find the perfect asparagus. Crunchy yet cooked stalks that were not covered in butter, yet still immensely flavorful. After unsuccessfully steaming, poaching and pan-frying, I turned to the oven for a solution.
While this recipe is simple and quick (making it the last thing you should prepare before serving a meal), it is the means of making a perfect side dish, and should be part of a chef’s repertoire.
Yield: 2 servings
Perfect Asparagus Recipe
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 9 minutes
Total Time: 11 minutes
- 1 bunch asparagus, washed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Break off the bottoms of the asparagus. Toss with the olive oil, garlic, shallot, salt and ground black pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the asparagus one spear deep.
- Insert the sheet into the oven and bake for 6 to 9 minutes, until it has reached the desired tenderness – leave it in longer if wanting it softer. Serve with a squeeze of lemon.
Amount Per Serving Calories 86Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 71mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 1g