I adore mashed potatoes. However, the kind I enjoy are full of butter and milk, with the precious skins ripped off for the white flesh inside.
Cauliflower is the perfect alternative to this starchy side dish. Full of minerals and nutrients, the lack of the same levels of starchiness as potatoes means that they do not require milk or butter to obtain the heavenly fluffy texture.
Cauliflower is the perfect alternative to mashed potatoes. Full of minerals and nutrients, it also does not require milk or butter to obtain a heavenly fluffy texture.
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 head roasted garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup silken tofu
- Place the cauliflower in a deep bottomed frying pan on the stove. Add ¼-inch of water to the bottom and sprinkle the pinch of salt over the vegetable. Cover and place on the stove at medium heat. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until almost all the water has boiled off and the cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.
- Blend the roasted garlic, oregano, parsley, olive oil, pinch of salt, ground black pepper, and tofu together in a blender. Remove and set aside in a large bowl.
- Blend the cauliflower together in the blender until it is smooth and fluffy. Add to the bowl with the parsley and garlic mixture – stir until combined. Serve as a side dish or top with caramelized onions and mushrooms for added taste and texture.
Amount Per Serving Calories 106Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 91mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 4g