While travelling to Central America, I began to appreciate the beautiful texture and flavor of the yucca root.
Also called cassava, tapioca or manioc, this is one of the staple tubers of the world, so becoming acquainted with a simple means of cooking it not only makes you a better cook, but broadens your flavor horizons.
This is one of the easiest yucca recipes, and is based on a dish served to me in a Nicaraguan home.
Pan-Fried Yucca with Creamy Vegan Drizzle
This easy yucca recipe highlights the beautiful texture and flavor of the yucca root. Also called cassava, tapioca or manioc, yucca is a staple tuber of the world.
- 2 cups yucca root, peeled and cubed
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp flour
- Vegetable oil
Creamy Vegan Drizzle
- 1/2 block soft tofu
- 1 tsp black pepper, coarse ground
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Simmer the yucca root with the garlic cloves in a large pot of boiling water with several generous pinches of salt. Cook for 10 minutes or until the pieces are easily pierced with a fork. Drain off the water and mash the yucca with the soft garlic and flour until smooth.
- Heat the oil, 1-inch deep, on high in a deep-bottomed frying pan, until a drop of water flicked in sizzles. Create small golf ball sized pieces from the yucca root mixture, and press them into rounds ½-inch thick.
- Fry the yucca pieces for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove and let drain on paper towel.
- Meanwhile, blend the tofu, black pepper, basil, oregano, lemon, sugar and balsamic together until smooth. Salt to taste.
- Serve the yucca with tofu drizzled on top.
Amount Per Serving Calories 272Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 163mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 8g
Yummmmmmmm! Can’t wait to try it. Delicious vegan food is one reason why the number of vegans has doubled in less than 3 years. Here are two uplifting videos that will help people understand just some of the implications of this lifestyle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSE and http://www.veganvideo.org