Pesto is a staple of Italian cooking, yet many believe that it is only basil that can create the riotous green color so beloved in the sauce.
Flat-leaf parsley is a more subtly flavored leaf with no less color. This particular pesto goes well with the grilled vegetables so common in the summer months.
If you want, spread the pesto inside two slices of focaccia, place the grilled vegetables in between, and grill the outside for a delicious Panini.
Grilled Vegetables with Parsley Pesto
This particular pesto goes well with the grilled vegetables so common in the summer months.
- 2 large zucchini
- 4 bell peppers
- 2 large red onion
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt
- 3 cups flat-leaf parsley, washed and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 cup parsley
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, squeezed and zested
- pinch salt
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat. Toss the vegetables with the ½ tbl olive oil and sea salt. Place the veggies on the grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until crisp black lines are seared on either side and they are tender.
- Meanwhile, blend all the ingredients for the pesto together until thick and smooth.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and drizzle the pesto on top. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving Calories 520Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 32gCholesterol 7mgSodium 348mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 11gSugar 10gProtein 13g