Radishes are one of my favorite foods of summer. So, imagine my delight when I received a bunch of multicolored radishes from our CSA. They’re gorgeous! And ever since then, beautiful red, purple and white radishes have been popping up nonstop in all of our salads. Also, radishes with a tiny schmear of butter make an amazing hot weather snack.
You can’t go wrong with a good radish.
For fun the other day, I decided to toss radishes with olive oil and sea salt and then grill them. When that worked well, I decided to do the same thing with the radish greens.
Wow. Talk about flavor! The grilling brings out a little bit of the sweet pepperiness in the radishes. And when combined with pink lentils and a lemon vinaigrette – it’s a perfect salad for hot weather.
- 1 cup pink lentils
- 3 cups vegetarian broth
- 10 large radishes with greens attached
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the lentils in a strainer and pick out any loose debris. Place the lentils in a medium saucepan with the broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Toward the end of cooking, taste test them every minute or so. Pink lentils are very easy to overcook, and you want them to have a little bit of body left.
- Drain the lentils in a colander, and run them under cold water.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Trim greens off of radishes. Halve them lengthwise, and toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the sea salt. Place on grill and cook for 3 minutes. Flip and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Place the greens in the same bowl with leftover olive oil/sea salt mixture. Toss well to coat. Grill for 2 minutes and turn. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until the greens are wilted. Remove from grill and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together remaining olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, kosher salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the cooled greens and toss together with the cooked lentils and radishes. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Serve at room temperature, or cool for 1 hour before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 202Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 5mgSodium 954mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 11g