Zucchini becomes the platform for fresh bruschetta mixture, a healthy and flavorful alternative to the standard white bread used when making this classic dish.
To make this dish vegan and lactose-free, use a vegan parmesan alternative in place of the cheese in this recipe.
- 1 large zucchini, sliced on a diagonal, ¼-inch thick
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle the onion, garlic and parsley powder evenly over the zucchini slices. Pour the vegetable oil into a deep-bottomed frying pan. Heat on medium-high until a drop of water thrown into the pan sizzles. Gingerly place the zucchini slices in the pan, and fry on each side for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove the zucchini slices and drain them on paper towel.
- Combine garlic, onion, pepper, parsley, tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, black pepper, sugar and balsamic vinegar in a large bowl.
- Spoon the tomato mix onto each piece of zucchini, with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to top it off.