Fall is one of our absolute favorite times of the year to cook nourishing, warming food, especially when the ingredients come from our local farmer’s market.
With the shift in seasons, our bodies need grounding food- as it can be a bit unsettling as everything changes so rapidly around us.
This frittata recipe is perfect for Fall because it uses ghee and root vegetables, which are grounding and balancing for the body as the weather becomes cooler. The fresh herbs and zucchini add a lightness, that is reminiscent of the last days of summer!
Ghee is used traditionally in Ayurvedic Medicine and is one of our favorite healthy fats to incorporate into the diet, because it is so sweet and comforting. Ghee is clarified butter, which means the milk solids have been removed and all that remains is a golden, delicious liquid. Usually people who are sensitive to lactose, can tolerate ghee.
Ghee is great to eat in the Fall and Winter because it helps the body heal, restore, and build — which is important for enhancing our immune system.
- 1 Tbsp ghee, or grapeseed oil
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup beets, chopped finely
- 1 cup squash, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 eggs
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a cast iron pan, saute the onions and garlic in ghee for 5 minutes, or until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the beets, squash, zucchini, and fresh herbs. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Beat the eggs together. Pour into the veggies and cook for 1 minute on the stove.
- Cook in the oven for 5 minutes, or until solidified.
Complete Meal Idea
- This is perfect served with a side of steamed spinach, kale or collards…sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top!
- If desired you can also add in a piece of toasted whole grain or gluten free bread.
This recipe was originally published in 2011.
Amount Per Serving Calories 168Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 148mgSodium 238mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 7g