The hint of spice in this thick soup makes it the perfect meal during a spring cold, both soothing the throat and clearing out the nasal passages.
Using coconut milk instead of cream not only adds a South East Asian flavor, but also makes the traditionally creamy soup lactose free.
Yield: 4 Servings
Creamy Coconut Cauliflower Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tsp sambal olek
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 pinch salt
- Toss the onion, garlic and oil in a large soup pot on the stove. Add the spices. Turn to medium-high heat. Caramelize for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Deglaze the pot with the chicken stock. Stir up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Serve with a cilantro garnish. Add unsweetened almond milk to make the soup less thick, if desired.