This extraordinary wrap recipe is perfect fast food when on the run. A great new product to hit the market recently is a wrap made from coconut meat. With each wrap containing just 70 calories, this gluten-free substitute is a great alternative to wheat- or corn-based tortillas.
And the best part is that coconut contains medium-chain triglycerides, a type of fat that likes to be burned as energy! If you can’t find coconut wraps, then nori sheets or other gluten-free wraps make a lovely substitute.
Coconut Meat Wraps with Smoked Salmon
- 1 cup fermented or freshly grated beet
- 1 cup kelp noodles or brown rice noodles or sweet potato noodles
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 pinch pink rock salt or gray sea salt
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced
- 120 grams smoked salmon*, sugar-free, or 120g of seasoned, cooked tempeh
- 2 tbsp nut- and dairy-free pesto
- 4 coconut or soft flax grain-free wraps or nori paper
- Mix beet, noodles, oil and salt and set aside. (If you are using freshly grated beets, consider splashing them with a squeeze of lemon juice to give them a tangy taste.)
- Layer beet-noodle mixture with apple, salmon, and pesto inside wrap. Fold over once and eat like a soft taco.
- (*Wild caught salmon from Alaska is rated as ‘best choice’ by SeaChoice.org, an organization devoted to healthy oceans and sustainable seafood.)
Amount Per Serving Calories 867Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 27gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 11mgSodium 1273mgCarbohydrates 99gFiber 14gSugar 44gProtein 23g