Let’s face it – most people know they should be striving to eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
The abundance of phytochemicals, antioxidants and fiber in these foods go a long way to keeping us healthy.
The unfortunate reality is, most people don’t find these foods very tasty on their own. The thought of eating a bowl of oatmeal or cup of blueberries isn’t that appealing to most folks.
Well, you can – and this smoothie bowl recipe does just that.
What is a smoothie bowl, you ask?
It’s a smoothie that’s blended super thick and then finished off with toppings.
As the name implies, it’s best eaten with a spoon rather than straw.
Having a heavy-duty blender – like one of these – can certainly help make the smoothie bowl thick because you don’t have to add much liquid.
But if your blender isn’t that powerful, here’s a little trick…
Start with the entire contents of liquid that the recipe calls for and slowly add the frozen fruit as you’re blending. You can also stop blending to add more frozen fruit in and then repeat the process.
Doing it this way will reduce stress on the motor, but still ensure that the result is thick and delicious!
The thought of eating a bowl of oatmeal or cup of blueberries isn’t that appealing to most folks. But what if you could combine these ingredients into something that has the sweetness of ice cream and the varied texture of a pie? Well, you can – and this smoothie bowl recipe does just that.
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 banana, ripe
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Soymilk, or other non-dairy milk; use ½ - 1 cup depending on desired thickness
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Add all the frozen ingredients to your blender and add half of the required oats.
- Use just enough soy milk to blend, stopping to readjust as necessary. The less soy milk you use the thicker it will be, but the easier it will blend. See tips in the intro if your blender can’t handle this.
- Once fully blended place into your favorite bowl. It’s okay if all the oats aren’t fully blended – just make sure the fruits are smooth.
- Top the smoothie bowl with sliced banana, remainder of raw oatmeal and chia seeds.
- Enjoy with a spoon!
Amount Per Serving Calories 144Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 5mgSodium 33mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 4gSugar 14gProtein 5g