Warm up your winter with this delicious stew of barley and roasted root vegetables. Hearty and nourishing.
This hearty and colorful stew of barley and roasted root vegetables is almost like a chunky vegetable stew. It’s great for a side dish, or a meatless meal in itself.
This hearty and colorful stew of barley and roasted root vegetables is almost like a chunky vegetable stew. It's great for a side dish, or a meatless meal in itself.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup apple juice
- 6 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 red pepper, cut into cubes
- 3 parsnips, finely chopped
- 3 potatoes, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery until browned – about 8 minutes.
- On high heat, add the apple juice and scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add barley and thyme, reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add celery, red pepper and potatoes and continue cooking until tender –about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the peas, put the lid on the pan, and leave aside for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and your stew of root vegetables is ready to be savored.
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 728mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 7gSugar 12gProtein 5g