Happy Earth Day! Every year on April 22, people around the world come together to celebrate our planet and take action to protect it. But what is Earth Day, exactly, and how can you celebrate it today? Here’s a quick primer.
Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970, and it is now observed in over 180 countries. The day is meant to raise awareness about environmental issues and promote solutions for a healthy planet. Many people mark Earth Day by recycling, conserving energy, planting trees, or taking other actions to reduce their impact on the environment.
So whether you’re joining a local cleanup or just making a pledge to be more environmentally friendly, take some time today to show your love for our planet!
This is the perfect opportunity to celebrate our planet and do our part to protect it. Here are 23 easy ways you can celebrate Earth Day in 2023:
“Saving our planet, lifting people out of poverty, advancing economic growth… these are one and the same fight. We must connect the dots between climate change, water scarcity, energy shortages, global health, food security, and women’s empowerment. Solutions to one problem must be solutions for all.”
– Ban Ki-moon
1. Get your community together and pick up litter in your neighborhood or local park!
2. Plant a tree in your yard or community park to help offset carbon emissions. Or start a garden.
3. Educate yourself and others about the importance of recycling and composting.
4. Reduce your reliance on single-use plastics and disposable products.
5. Save water by fixing leaks, watering your plants during the cooler hours of the day, and using a rain barrel to collect rainwater.
6. Save energy by unplugging electronics when you’re not using them, using LED light bulbs, and weatherizing your home.
“Sooner or later, we will have to recognise that the Earth has rights, too, to live without pollution. What mankind must know is that human beings cannot live without Mother Earth, but the planet can live without humans.”
– Evo Morales
7. Support environmentally friendly and sustainable businesses.
8. Advocate for policies that protect the environment.
9. Connect with nature! Go for a hike, spend time in your backyard, or visit a local park or nature reserve.
10. Teach children about the importance of taking care of our planet.
11. Compost your food scraps and other organic materials
12. Host a “swap” event with friends or neighbors to exchange gently used clothing and reduce textile waste.
13. Start a vermicompost bin
14. Use a green cleaning solution for your home
“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
15. Grow your own food, for instance, in a small home greenhouse
16. Participate in a “Meatless Monday” and try plant-based recipes to reduce your carbon footprint.
17. Use public transportation or carpool when possible
18. Ride a bike or e-scooter instead of driving
19. Walk instead of driving whenever possible
20. Work from home a few days a week to reduce your carbon footprint
“We can no longer let the people in power decide what is politically possible. We can no longer let the people in power decide what hope is. Hope is not passive. Hope is not blah, blah, blah. Hope is telling the truth. Hope is taking action. And hope always comes from the people.”
21. Create a “Green Team” at work or school to implement sustainability practices and reduce waste.
22. Buy energy-efficient appliances and Install solar panels on your home or business
23. Attend a local climate rally or march to show support for environmental activism.