The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has released a new top 10 list to help pet owners go green with their furry companion. Some of them are a bit out there, to say the least, but whatever helps make a difference.
- Instead of throwing out old towels or bedding, contact a local shelter and donate it. They also accept old pet toys, or used litter boxes.
- This should go without saying, but don’t give your pet bottled water. Give them tap water. They won’t care.
- Use biodegradable bags to scoop up your dog’s mess, or for cat owners, use eco friendly cat litters.
- Earth-friendly (and pet friendly) shampoos and grooming products are available, so why not use them.
- If you have a really small pet, think about giving them home grown veggies, free of insecticides.
- If your pet makes a mess, use an all natural cleaning solvent like vinegar, rather than bleach.
- If you have reptile or fish tanks, use energy saving lights, and put them on timers.
- Wearing shoes in the house can bring in extra dirt and pesticides that your pet doesn’t need exposure to.
- If you buy pet treats, make sure they come in recyclable cardboard. Or better yet, make your own!
- Buy pet food in bulk – less packaging, plus less cost overall.
Hopefully the tips that weren’t insanely obvious will be a help to all the pet loving readers out there.