By Samantha Lowe |
When barbecuing, many people don’t typically think of grilling fruits. Vegetables, yes, meats, yes, but fruit? The sweetness of fruit is actually enhanced through grilling, with the characteristic grill marks actually caramelizing the sugars within. This salad is a simple one, allowing the grilled nectarines to provide most of the flavor, and complimented through a simple oil and vinegar dressing.
- 4 nectarines, quartered
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat. Lightly brush the nectarine pieces with vegetable oil and place on the grill over direct heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until browned and soft.
- Remove the nectarines and dice them. Place the salad greens, grape tomatoes and red onion in a large salad bowl. Place the nectarines on top.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. Drizzle over the salad. Serve as is or toss to evenly coat with dressing. Serve right away.