By Samantha Lowe |
With the sweetness of beets offset by the rich flavor of lentils, this dish is perfect for summer lettuce wraps. Play up the crunchiness of the lettuce by adding sliced carrots, beansprouts or other veggies, or highlight the richness of the mixture by topping the smash with caramelized onions and garlic.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbl vegetable oil
- 2 large beets, grated
- 1 can lentils, drained
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- Toss the onion and garlic with the oil in a deep-bottomed frying pan. Set to medium-high heat and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until browned and caramelized.
- Add the beets and continue to cook for another 5 to 8 minutes, covered and stirring occasionally, until the beets are cooked through.
- Blend half the can of lentils until coarsely smooth. Add the blended lentils and the rest of the lentils to the pan along with the breadcrumbs. Toss until completely combined.
- Continue to cook for another five minutes, until the mixture is hot and sticking together.
- Serve right away in 2 to 3 lettuce leaves.