By Samantha Lowe |
This soup, while delightful warm, is meant to be served chilled. Perfect for a mid-afternoon snack or the beginning of a meandering several-course summer meal, the soup is high in flavor but not in fat. If wanting to make this soup completely vegan, substitute the non-fat yogurt with blended tofu.
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 large zucchinis, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups plain non-fat yogurt
- Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil in a large soup pot, on medium-high heat, for 3 to 5 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the vegetable broth, scraping up all the brown bits.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the spinach, salt and yogurt. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, covered, on medium heat, until the soup is fragrant and the potato is soft.
- Add the spinach and simmer for another 2 minutes, until it is completely softened.
- Remove the soup from heat, allow to cool, and blend until smooth and silky. Chill the blended soup in the refrigerator. Mix in the yogurt before serving.