Five Ways To Go Green Today!

Updated On
Go green at home

We may collect a share of sales from items linked to on this page. Learn more.

After watching world leaders bicker, argue, accuse then pose for a photo op, one wonders is anything will ever be done to better our environment, at least at that level.

And like the saying goes, “if you want something done right, do it yourself” here are five easy and inexpensive ways to start living a green lifestyle – today.

  1. Never leave a room with the light on. I don’t know about you, but I can certainly remember my father always reminding me to turn off the lights, however in his case I think he was fed up with the hydro bill, more than bettering the environment. And saving a buck or two on the ole hydro bill is never a bad thing.
  2. Use refillable water bottles. Every time anyone drinks from a plastic water bottle they are contributing to the 1.5 million barrels of oil it takes to make bottled water in the U.S., which is enough energy to power 250,000 homes. Additionally only 20% of the plastic bottles ever make it to the recycling bin, the other 80% wind up in landfills.
  3. When you are shaving or brushing your teeth, don’t let the water run. Another point from dear old dad, but where I live we pay for water coming into the house and as it goes down the drain. With an estimated three gallon usage for brushing and shaving, turning off the tap just makes sense.
  4. Use your own bags. Many grocery store retailers are now charging for the those plastic bags, and it is estimated that only 5% of plastic bags get recycled.
  5. Increase your knowledge. Think about the choices you have, and the decisions you make each and every day. Join online communities and learn what other people are doing to gain more information.

There you go, five easy steps towards living a greener lifestyle. If everyone started to do this today think of the impact we could have. It would be more beneficial than anything that came out of Copenhagen.

  • Greener Ideal Staff

    Greener Ideal helps you live your life in more sustainable ways with green living tips and commentary on the latest environment news. We want to protect the planet and reduce our collective carbon footprint.

What do you think? Leave a comment!