You may live in the concrete jungle, but living green is within your grasp. Care for the earth and yourself with these 5 green living tips for city dwellers:
1. Bring your own bag
The majority of bags used by grocery stores in the United States are made out of plastic. Plastic bags are not biodegradable, they rarely get recycled and they are the cause of death for thousands of marine animals, birds and other animals, due to ingestion, entanglement and pollution.
Remembering to bring your own reusable grocery bags is a small, but significant, way to work towards a cleaner and healthier ecosystem.
2. Walk, Bike, use Public Transportation
We all want to save money on gas and breathe cleaner air. Avoid your car, and walk, bike, or use public transportation to get to your destination.
3. Shop Second-hand
From clothing to housewares, think second-hand before running out to buy brand new items.
Utilize your city’s thrift stores; not only will you be saving the energy and resources used to make more “stuff,” but you will also be saving money.
4. Make Conscientious Food Choices
Maintaining extensive gardens isn’t always an option when living in the city, but there are ways to grow and eat quality, organic food, despite where you live.
Here are a few ideas:
- Create a container garden on your porch by acquiring a few large ceramic pots, and planting some vegetable seeds or starters in them.
- Make the decision to go organic, and stick with it. When you walk into the supermarket, remind yourself to pay the extra cents, your body and the environment will thank you.
- Shop at your local Farmer’s Market whenever possible. More and more cities have weekly Farmer’s Markets; support your local farmers and enjoy the sunshine by doing your shopping outdoors!
[irp posts=”14863″ ]
5. Make Simple Household Changes
Here are some basic green living tips for around the house: