While fresh, local cherry tomatoes are still available at farmers markets and stores, take advantage of the bounty and stock up for the winter.
It’s easy to keep these beautiful little gems of the growing season with you through the cold months. Just wash them, dry them, and freeze them in resealable plastic bags. When you want some tomatoes, simply remove the amount you want and add to soups, stews or roast them. There’s no need to defrost them first.
Tomatoes that are purchased in winter typically have to be shipped long distances and often are grown in sand – which means they have fewer nutrients than tomatoes grown in soil. They also tend to be dull and lacking flavor.
By freezing your own from the growing season, you can enjoy delicious and beautiful locally-grown tomatoes all winter long.
And accompanied by the slightly spicy flavor of beet greens and the lemony lightness of ricotta, these tomatoes are perfect roasted in this simple appetizer recipe on rustic sourdough bread.
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1.5 cups beet greens, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup skim milk ricotta
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 slices rustic sourdough bread or baguette
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the tomatoes on large, rimmed baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, seasoning with ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, or until tomatoes have imploded and are slightly caramelized.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, combine the chili flakes and remaining olive oil in a large frying pan. Heat over medium heat for 1 minute and add the beet greens. Toss the beet greens well with the oil. Season with remaining salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir constantly for 2 minutes, or until greens have reduced by half and are bright green.
- In a small bowl stir the ricotta and lemon juice together.
Amount Per Serving Calories 727Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 10mgSodium 1846mgCarbohydrates 121gFiber 9gSugar 16gProtein 30g