This time of year it’s traditional to think of pork and apples. However tomatillos are still in season, and they make the perfect finish to a pork and tomato dish that’s hot and spicy and brimming with flavor.
If you’re not familiar with tomatillos, they are an amazing ingredient because they’re citrusy and bright. And adding them at the end of the cooking process means that they retain their flavor, but they still have a slightly acidic bite.
Yield: 4 servings
Oven Roasted Pork and Tomatoes with Tomatillos
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 4 pound pork loin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 4 small tomatillos, diced (approximately ½ cup)
- 1 large radish, cut into matchsticks (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim any excess fat from pork. In a large Dutch oven or oven-friendly frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat until it's hot but not smoking. Add the spices and stir well for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the pork and sear on one side for 5 minutes or until browned. Turn the pork over and sear the other side for 5 minutes. Add the onion and stir well to coat. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add the broth and stir well to get up any browned bits. Add the tomatoes and jalapeno, and cover the pan.
- Put covered pan in the oven and roast until the pork registers 160 degrees with a meat thermometer, about 90 minutes. Remove from oven and add chopped tomatillos. Let sit uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Serve pork and sauce on rice and garnish with radishes. Or it's equally good on warm flour tortillas with arugula, tomatoes, cheese and radishes.
Yield: Serves 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 970Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 365mgSodium 1084mgCarbohydrates 10gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 123g